MCH Communication Specialist (2671)
The MCH MOMS Helpline serves as a call center within the Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Division at the Indiana State Department of Health. The focus of the position is to provide information, referrals, and resources to link mothers, pregnant women, women of child bearing age, and families to a network of services within their community. The Communication Specialist is responsible for answering incoming calls and identify the client’s barriers to accessing services and bridging the gap between families and resources
The Communication Specialist also assists on the special project, the My Healthy Baby and Help Me Grow. This project is a statewide initiative to reduce infant mortality rates in Indiana. The Communication Specialist have been appointed to serve on the project as the Screening & Referral services for eligible, pregnant women in targets counties by contacting them directly and referring them to home visiting services and developmental screening using the Ages and Stages Questionnaire.
• Requires efficiency to handle the volume of incoming and outbound calls received on a daily basis.
• Ability to make and take a numerous amount of calls helping navigate families with resources and referrals within the maternal and child life cycle, accurately and thoroughly using multiple intake screening processes.
• Ability to follow-up with all clients engaged in the system, to ensure that quality is achieved.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of the existing early childhood systems, Help Me Grow IN, Home Visiting, Early Childhood, Special Education and Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs programs- eligibility, referral/application processes, due process information, and related support services.
• Assist with compiling and mailing out information packets to families referred to services or screening tools, or other community based resources, as needed.
• Sends out confirmation letter and resource information to referral source.
• Assists in maintaining filing system for all cases.
• Attends staff meetings, conferences, and workshops regularly to upgrade professional skills and understand systems and current best practices for working with mothers, children and families.
• Works effectively as a team member and provides assistance to other staff members as needed.
• Effective communication skills needed to assess the needs of clients and direct them to the appropriate resource and referral.
• Ability to assist client submitting full Medicaid application, obtaining navigator license.
• Requires knowledge of community resources and available service providers throughout the state, assisting in identifying gaps and barriers to services, and system issue trends families experience in utilizing services.
• Requires knowledge of Information and Referral (I&R) standards and utilizing the Vision Link Database.
• Assists Lead CS in producing caller data reports by reporting number of calls made and other filter such as referrals, call type, needs, providers, etc. on a daily basis.
Bachelor’s in Communications /Social Work or Information Technology, Education, Special Education, Home Visiting or related health or human services.
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, Outlook, Power Point, Excel & SharePoint
Well-developed communication skills, both written & verbal.
Experience in positions involving maternal needs, special needs or work with very young children.
Knowledge of typical and atypical child development and special needs conditions.
Bilingual in English/Spanish/Burmese/Haitian-Creole.